Skip to main content

Common Questions of the Cattaraugus County Clerk's Office.

How do I get a copy of my deed, or tax documents?

WARNING:  The County Clerk's office will never send you a notice or bill offering to send you a copy of your deed and a property information report for fees of $80 or more.

Periodically, new home owners receive a notice that looks like a bill, but does not originate with the county.  If you look closely, some notices even admit:

            "This service is not affiliated with the County in which your deed is filed.  It is not affiliated with any government agency.  This offer serves as a solicitation for services and not to be interpreted as a bill due.  This service is not approved nor endorsed by any governmental agency.  You are under no obligation to pay the amount stated unless you want the report."

When a deed is recorded, the County Clerk's office automatically sends the original to the buyer or buyer's attorney in about two weeks.  After that time, if anyone wishes to receive a copy or a certified copy of their deed, they may contact the Clerk's office and receive these documents for a few dollars. 

Additionally, your parcel information is a public record.  You are entitled to your tax information by contacting the Treasurer's office directly. 

If an owner buys back their real property after a County Foreclosure, the County will record the deed in the County Clerk's office automatically, and then afterward, mail the original to the prior owner/buyer about two weeks later.  There are no added fees beyond our regular buyback fees (which are already part of the buyback payment)  in order to send to you the original deed. 

You do not need a 'third party facilitator' to receive your deed. 

If you receive any notice/bills that don't come directly from the County Treasurer's office, or the County Clerk's office, please consider the offer carefully before paying money for something you could get locally for a lot less money.

Who do I contact with questions about building or adding something to a property?

Do you have questions about building on your property, home or facility?

You will want to contact the building code enforcement officer for the municipality in which the property is located.

We have a list available for download from the Directory of municipal contacts.

Locate the municipality, look for the building code enforcement officer's contact information and then contact them with your building questions.

If you have issues contacting a building code enforcement officer then please contact your municipality's supervisor or town clerk.

Where do I get a copy of my Marriage Certificate?

When looking for a certified copy of a marriage certificate you must contact the clerk of the municipality in which the marriage license was purchased.


If you purchased your marriage license from the Town of Yorkshire and were married at Holiday Valley in the Town of Ellicottville then you would contact the Town of Yorkshire for a copy of your marriage certificate.

If you purchased your marriage license from the City of Olean and were married in the Town of Allegany then you would contact the City of Olean for a copy of your marriage certificate.

Listing of Municipal Clerks in Cattaraugus County

You can find a municipality's clerk by searching the Directory of municipal contacts.

Where can I get a copy of a birth certificate?

You can obtain a birth certificate for someone born in Cattaraugus County from the municipality (city or town) in which that person was born.

If the person was born in a hospital in Cattaraugus County, contact the municipality that the hospital is/was located in. See the list of hospitals that ARE or HAVE BEEN located in Cattaraugus County and the corresponding list of contacts.

If the person was born in Cattaraugus County but NOT in a hospital then contact the municipality in which they were born. See the Directory of municipal contacts.

List of Hospitals that are or have been in Cattaraugus County

How do I access documents that were recorded by the Clerk's Office online?

Online access to Clerk's office records is available through our vendor Cott Systems, Inc. Clickhere


The records in the County Clerk's office are indexed by name only.

Information about properties can also be found using the Real Property Office's GIS system.


Those records can (usually) be searched by name or address. The records will often give the recording information for the deeds in the Clerk's office, but these references are not 100% accurate.

How do I get a pistol permit?

The Sheriff's Office pistol permit clerk has a page to help you with applying for a pistol permit in Cattaraugus County.

Can I change the mailing address, or the name on my property?

Thank you for keeping your records updated!

The Treasurer's Office can make ADDRESS CORRECTIONS on delinquent tax records, and request the assessor to update address changes on the upcoming tax roll.  To do that, you must be an owner of the property,  fill out this form and sign it.  Then return it to the Treasurer's Office at the address found at the bottom of the form.

In regard to a change of name due to marriage, divorce, or a death, the assessor can make updates to names for the assessment/tax roll only.  This does not change/establish legal ownersh ip.  You could use this form for the purpose of updating tax records only, and return with the required documents to the Office of Real Property at the address found on the bottom of the form. 

Owner name, however, is established on the tax roll by the deed that was filed in the County Clerk's Office. A legal change in owner(s) or legal modification of owner name requires filing a document in the County Clerk's Office or in Surrogate Court. The Assessor  will then make that change on the assessment records, which affect tax rolls.

Where do I pay my taxes

On the front of your tax bill, you will find your local collector's address to pay by mail, and if applicable where to pay in person.   Click on this link if you need a copy of your original bill.

There is also a payment schedule. If the taxes are not paid by the last deadline, the tax lien is returned to the County for collection.

On the back of your bill, you will find the address for sending your payments after March 31 for town & county,  and after October 31 for schools & villages and the City of Olean, which address is: Treasurer's Office, 303 Court St, Little Valley, NY 14755 or 1 Leo Moss Dr, Olean NY 14760 (in case you don't have the original  bill), When a tax bill is not paid on time, there will be additional interest and penalties added to the original amount. Please verify the amount owed by calling the Treasurer's Office, as wrong amounts may be returned to you thereby delaying the posting of a payment.

Didn't find your question?

If you don't see an answer to your question then please contact the Clerk's Office at 716-938-2297 or use the Clerk's Contact form.