Lead (Pb) is a highly toxic metal that poses a serious health risk to humans when ingested, especially to children less than six years of age. In the past, its use as an additive in many products was very common (i.e. leaded paint & gasoline). Although its use is now restricted, many older homes may still contain lead paint hazards. This is why laws require doctors to test young children for lead exposure. Only a trained Lead Risk Assessor can identify and test homes for the presence of lead.
The Environmental Health Division conducts environmental lead investigations in response to the referral of a child with an elevated blood lead level, from a physician. Please note that such physician referral is required to trigger an investigation, these are not performed on request. Homeowners can hire trained consultants to assess their home if desired.
NYS Department of Health - Lead Poisoning Prevention